- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 200g red lentils
- 3cm fresh ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp garam marsala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Naan bread or poppadum’s to serve
- Place lentils, ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon in a saucepan, and add 3 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove the added cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Set aside for now.
- Add the oil to a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onion and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam marsala and chilli flakes and cook for a further two minutes. Season with salt and stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the onions and spices to the lentil pan and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve with coriander, naan bread and poppadum’s.