- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 10-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- ¾ cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup diced tomatoes
- ¾ cup prepared salsa
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- Preheat oven to 375°F to prepare taco shells.
- Wrap 6 tortillas at a time in a barely damp cloth or paper towel and microwave on high power for about 30 seconds until steamed.
- Lay the tortillas on a clean work surface and coat both sides with cooking spray and sprinkle with a small amount of chili powder and salt on just one side. Bake until crispy, 7 to 10 minutes and repeat with the remaining 6 tortillas.
- To prepare taco meat simply place beef and onion in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander to drain off fat. Return the meat to the pan and add tomatoes, cumin, ground chipotle (or chili powder) and oregano.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 3-6 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Fill each taco shell with a generous 3 tablespoons taco meat, ¼ cup lettuce, 1 tablespoon each cheese, tomato and salsa and 1 teaspoon onion.